Thursday, June 16, 2005

I'm almost a Grandma...sort of

My daughter, who is NOT going to be a writer--"Hey, I just had an idea. I thought I might as well write it down."--recently finished revising her first complete manuscript. I helped her research a few agents. She sent out 5 queries. She's had three "Sure, I'd like to see it" responses so far. So tonight she called. She decided to surf and do a little deeper 'investigation' of the agents. She discovered all the comment and bulletin boards where writers actually talk to each other. So her call tonight? "Did you know I could get rejected by these agents?"

I had to laugh. Somehow, growing up in a household with a writer, where did she miss THAT particular fact? Was she only paying attention to the good stuff? (I guess we did 'celebrate' and make a lot bigger deal of the sales and the good news. I tried hard to ignore the rejections and the disappointments.) She said she knew she'd probably get rejections from publishers. But it never occurred to her that she might get the same responses from agents. She thought she got to pick and choose. Personally, I hope she's right.

Though I may never get to know what it feels like to be a grandmother since neither of my children seem inclined to find 'the one' and settle down, I have a feeling it must feel something like this.

Keep your fingers crossed for the 'birthing' of this particular dear-to-my-heart, but not-quite-the-same-as-my-own book. It is soooo hard to send your babies out into the world, isn't it?

No comments: