Monday, June 13, 2005

Success

It's funny how your definition of success (as a writer) changes with the passing of time. When I first began, success was actually finishing my first book. It was a real and very scary challenge. And since I hadn't really told anyone but my husband (and my kids, but they were too young to understand what I was doing), I was the only one I had to answer to. But I would have been devastated if I'd failed to a least finish. After that, the next major marker was getting a publisher to read something I'd written. And of course, then it was selling. After about four books, the goal--and my definition of what would make me successful was to establish a readership. I know I did to a certain extent. After all, I did get fan letters. And every once in a while, I'd get a stroke like meeting someone who actually knew who Val Daniels was. That was a thrill, but it is probably still one of my measures of success.

Now, I find myself in a strange place. I'm searching for a new definition for me. I know at least two and a half million people around the world have read my books--or at least, that's how many people have bought them. I know some of those people have probably read at least one of them more than once. How do I know, you wonder? I had markers when I was still 'just a reader,' so those markers I applied to me as a writer, too. For example, I didn't get rid of books if I liked them enough that I thought I might want to read them again. When my first book was slow in showing up in used bookstores, I knew at least someone, somewhere, planned to read it again. I managed to make it onto Ingram's Most Requested Authors list. (Don't ask me how that happened, cause I really don't know and I'm still amazed when I think of it.) I wouldn't have known it if a friend hadn't called and told me. I looked it up and sure enough, there I was.

Anyway, I guess I've come full circle. After a couple of years focusing on my non-fiction book, I'm back to writing fiction again and finding it scary. I am trying something totally new. So that might have something to do with it, but I'm back to thinking success will be if I can just finish this new and very challenging type of story. I guess the next measure will probably be the same all over again. I'll just want someone to read it. And then I'll just want someone to buy it. And then...

Well you get the picture. How do you measure your success? Do yourself a favor and make your markers realistic so that you can find 'success' along the way and celebrate it. It will keep you going. I promise.

No comments: