Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Happy 2014!

I've seen a lot of posts in the first four hours of this bright new year about letting go...of people, of things, of feelings, of...lots of things.

In the past week, I've realized there were many things in my life that I've let go of too quickly.  Yeah, many things it was easy to hold on to way too long--like old hurts and, definitely, lots of old baggage. But I've had a lot of relationships I let go of too quickly and moved on.  Some were from actually physically moving on.  Either the friend moved or I moved or work situations changed or whatever.  If I could have a do over, I would have made a lot bigger effort to hold on for dear life to some of those friends.  Yes, we're (mostly) still friends, but they've turned into the dear old acquaintance type friends instead of the really close current kind.  And I regret that letting go.

If I could teach someone younger anything about eventual regrets, it would be to truly evaluate and be very careful how quickly you let go.  Somethings are very important to let go.  Some things--mostly people--are really important to hold on to for dear life.  Think long and hard about which things are which, because you generally can't pick up where you left off if you let go too willingly.

No comments: